Monday, June 16, 2008

Not So Fabuloso





Stella and the ball popper toy
Fabuloso...a delicious purple drink for Stella
After ingestion
Lookes o.k. to me
It didn't affect her concentration skills



I'll update you on the happenings of the past couple of weeks. I have been computer-less since June 4th, so here goes....


I think it was the week before we left that we had our first call to poison control (there is another one made in Georgia...stay tuned). I had left Stella in her room playing with her fantastic ball popper toy. I needed to sneak out the garage and write down some paint colors for the people buying our home. Literally 30 seconds later, Stella comes into the garage carrying a tupperware container of Fabuloso (a cleaning product) that Holly had given to me. She's shaking it and it is pouring out everywhere. I immediately picked her up and smelled her breath...yep, fabuloso fresh breath. I immediately ran to the bathroom and found the big bottle under the countertop with the handy child-proof cap. I called the number on the bottle and explained what had happened.


"How much did she ingest, ma'am?"


"I don't know...maybe a couple of teaspoons?"


"How much does she weigh?"


"26 pounds"


"How old is she?"


"18 months" Could we get to the life saving or 911 call if necessary??!?


"Was the child proof cap properly affixed to the bottle, ma'am?"


"Yes, but she didn't get it from that bottle. It was in another container."


"Ma'am, you know that it is in a child proof bottle for this reason?"


"Yes, I know." O.k....I feel guilty enough...do I need to make her throw up? Do I need to throw her in the car and go the ER?


"Is she having trouble swallowing?"


"No, I don't think so. "


"Have her drink a lot of water and monitor her. If she has trouble swallowing or looks as if she is having a seizure, call 911 immediately. Can I help you with anything else today?"


"No." Seizures?!?!


"May I get your name and contact information?"


"Sure...."





2 comments:

TheDalaiMama said...

I'm so grateful you posted this! I came across it earlier this evening in the midst of looking up poison control information on Fabuloso after my son, Malcolm, 21 months, did the exact same thing! Turns out, we're not the first!--http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/86654
Anyway...now off to ground my teenager for life for poking a hole in a child proof cap and leaving it on the floor....

Anonymous said...

Now I cant get into the fabuloso. Can't you people with kids watch them better, and or put the cleaner high into a cabinet???
Parents just don't pay attention to what their kids are doing anymore! Get off the cell phone!
I had 4 kids without all this protection and I kept an eye in them.